Phyto cube equivalent?

Discussion in 'Basic Principles' started by Adrian, Sep 6, 2015.

Welcome to Algae Scrubbing Join our community today
  1. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Bc
    Somewhere I read on here in the guidelines for screen size that the cube equivelant for liquid foods is 3.25 ml. I feed a lot of live phytoplankton so what is the equivelant for that? They are themselves a nutrient absorbing algae but I know even the bottled live stuff has a lot of dead phyto in it

2. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

Here ya go

Planning your Algae Scrubber

I didn't write that 3.25mL figure, that was SM so take that into consideration. That might have been referring to a highly concentrated coral food like Oyster Feast.

3. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Bc
    the link doesnt mention anything about feeding phyto

4. Turbo

Turbo Does not really look like Johnny Carson Staff Member Site Owner Multiple Units! Customer

I don't have an equivent off the top of my head. Sorry.

5. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Bc
    Btw I love all the information you have on this site id be lost without it. I have another question.. What do you think about metal halide lighting? I know it consumes a lot of power and I would love an led fixture but I already have a 150w mh pendant I don't use and probably can't sell as the base is broken. Still works fine just have to rig up some way of mounting it. I don't know if it'll be cost effective to buy an led fixture to save money on electricity when I already have a mh. Only thing is I may need to buy a new bulb as the one I have is a 14k and used for a year

6. Turbo

HID (high intensity discharge) lighting is ok, the old dump-bucket Adey scrubbers ran on HPS (high pressure sodium) which has a lot of red in it. MH lighting in the 14K range might grow some algae but probably not as effectively as a CFL, T5HO, or LED, mainly due to spectrum but also because they cost a lot to run and generate a lot of heat, and are not friendly to having water splashed on them.

7. Adrian

Adrian New Member

Bc
    Yes but I would be buying a different bulb. And the cost of running one may not be as much as have bg to buy an led fixture. I guess if it works it works just wanted to hear your opinion.